Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Chapter 2: The New Ear.

As i've mentioned before (and most of you know anyway because you've known me most of my life) I was born with a birth defect called Microtia. Well... The whole reason for my trip to Virginia and the D.C. area was to visit a VERY talented man by the name of Robert Barron. He has helped SOOO many people feel confident and normal with his AMAZING prosthesis. So after hearing about him. I decided (with the help of Enos) that getting a prosthetic was the best thing for me. While this involved LOTS of surgery (from very start to very finish- 8) I knew i'd be more happy if i got the reconstructed ear taken off because, let's face it, it just didn't look quite like an ear. Thanks to both my parents AND my husband's parents i was able to get this lovely prosthetic ear that i can wear all the time! I've shown everyone i know and they all can't tell which ear it is and that's the way i like it! I think people's favorite thing to do is stare at it with squinted eyes and their mouth hanging ajar. HA. I love it and i'm so glad i finally feel normal.



so many surgeries

after the first removal surgery

after the second removal surgery

after 3rd and final removal surgery

my new ear


Robert Barron :)

Thank you Robert!!! You're the best!!!

These last few are the for the weirdos who asked to see pictures of me holding my ear and such... enjoy.

my hand has good hearing... (oh the pranks i'll pull on Halloween)


my ear carrying case. HA. Go ahead jessica... i can hear you laughing.


My first try-on

13 comments:

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

yeah for the ear! i can't wait to see it and i'll probably do the squinting eyes thing with my mouth open, i already know it! i hope it still looks as shiny and new on july 4th as it did when u got it. i'm jealous that austin got to see it before me! you should put this barron dudes website up with this post because what if other people who have microtia google it, find ur blog, and want to find HIM.

Tara said...

All I can say is A-MAZING!!!

Tara said...

Haha, Jess and I posted at the exact same moment.....cool.

Staci said...

wow that is awesome! What an experience to finally have an ear..i guess you dont normally think about stuff like that until you dont have it. I totally forgot to see your ear at the wedding. Congratulations.

Jamie and Family said...

Lindsay, I know I only met you for a moment at the wedding, but I have to say first that you are hilarious. And second, that video made me cry and is the coolest thing to have on camera!!!! Congrats!!

T said...

That is just wonderful! It looks marvelous, absolutely marvelous! Way better than my neighbor's fake ear.

raschel said...

So, do you take it off? Or sleep in it? How often do you have to bathe it? Do they give you special glue? I have so many questions. ANd, your dadgum video had me crying from the VERY beginning. I loved the raw emotion in it. What a good idea to video tape that moment so you can have it forever!! It looks AMAZING Lindsay! I loved when he said that you were "smiling from ear-to-ear".

Unknown said...

Ok, thanks for making me BAWL! Gah!

I am so happy for you. You look beautiful, just like you always did. Love you mucho!

Unknown said...

Oh and also, Enos was so adorable in that video! So sweet you two are!

Drew said...

Wait... how did I never know about this?... What kind of ear have you been wearing for all the years I've known you? Maybe your hair is just... always down? Anyway, that is amazing. I can't wait to see the new ear.

Stephanie Kelly said...

How exciting!!! It looks wonderdul... I thought it was cute how he was brushing your hair for you too. You are so adorable Lindz.

Carlotta said...

I am sitting at work, thank goodness I am myself. I have the BIGGEST smile on my face and I am trying not to SOB my eyes out!! MIRACLE, TALENT!! GOD SENT!! I love it. I need some dental implants for some teeth that I was born without. Just been wearing a DUMB retainer. I filled up with emotions watching this knowing I would cry if I ever got my TEETH!

CONGRATS!!!!!!! HIP HIP HOORAY!

Alex :) said...

Thank you for sharing this with others. Like Enos, I am awed. What an incredible and amazing gift your doctor has. I'm so grateful you found him. I'm so happy for you. I love you!