Monday, August 4, 2008

Lindsay Heinzen: Major Offender....

This is a hard thing to blog about but it's been on my mind the whole weekend and since i love you all and want you to feel like you know me... i'm exposing myself for who i really am. I have some irreverent friends at work (whom i love) and who i feel completely comfortable around. We're always joking about things that perhaps shouldn't be joked about like dismembering babies, the occasional penis joke (because people say things that sound like other things and so we laugh at them for the way they make them sound.... ex. from a family member "i want a nice hot juicy tube steak." (they thought that meant a hotdog.)..... So anyway, apparently, my friends and i have been offending people on a daily basis with our conversations and have made people want to leave our team or move as far from us as they can. My immediate boss pulled me over and told me all of this and i couldn't help but feel terrible. I cried and cried in her office telling her over and over how sorry i was and how i guess things just got out of hand. At the same time though, i find it annoying that people should be offended by things that were not meant to offend. Anyway... the straw that broke the camel's back was a drawing a did for a friend's birthday card. This friend is from China and he's always been really reserved until i came along and we've really bonded and he's opened up. We joke back and forth about each other's babies being stupid and the biggest joke we had was how i was going to rip his baby's head off and hold it over my head triumphantly. I know i know.. it makes no sense but we both thought it was funny. So for his birthday card, i submitted a picture i'd drawn of me with the baby (see picture above) in said position. He actually thought it would be really funny... but apparently my boss did not. She told me, in front of all of my coworkers, that it was inappropriate and that i shouldn't have done it. And that Phil's (my chinese friend) baby had been in the hospital for a week a while earlier. "But we just joked about this yesterday? We were laughing." She still wasn't amused and walked away make me feel completely stupid and helpless in front of my coworkers. WOW. I was so upset. I later talked to her and found out that she heard a GROUP of us had put the card together and she wanted EVERYONE to know that it was inappropriate.... (except that the only person involved who was there was me, the others were out of town.). It was the most awkward situation i've ever been in. I cried and cried. Everything worked out in the end and my boss was actually amazingly understanding. She just wanted to let me know though that there were a lot of people offended by my and my friend's comments because a lot of people on our team had been trying to get pregnant but could not and me making light of babies was offending them. I'm sorry. But i also feel like a baby joke is pretty funny now and then. I'm sorry if you disagree... i've just always been de-sensitized to things like this because of the way i was raised. I just didn't get it. (see poster below that my mom got me after i saw hers and wanted one)... yes... we may be weird but we are still human. I guess that's it. I know a lot of this was jumbled but that's how i feel.




a few selected close ups of scenes from the poster my mom got me.




13 comments:

Stephanie Kelly said...

Oh, Linds I am so sorry you got in trouble for being you :( I totally know how that feels to be put on the spot for offending someone. But just know deep down inside alll those people who were offended are just jealous and wish they were you :) I wish I was witty, funny, and disturbing! Oh, I love those posters by the way...haha way too cute (and sooo you).

Vagabond Mother said...

Seems like a conference message to me!

I like how you actually got in trouble for that. Except for all the crying, it makes me laugh.

Keep your job, okay?? Or you'll find more than a staple in your potatoes. Enos can only take so much.

Tara said...

I still think that whole situation is just so stupid and pointless and SOOOO Utah. I'm so proud of you, I love who you are, and I want Jade to be JUST like you, (but be herself). :) Rock on Lindsay!!! -from the wife of D.B.D.

Drew said...

Oh Lindsay, I knew that the morbid sense of humor and fascination with the artistically grotesque would catch up with you in some way or another one of these days (ever since the days of the "Sleep" painting you did)! I know sometimes people are too sensitive, but it also doesn't hurt to be a little careful with what you say in certain company, and what have you.

Unknown said...

I watched Sweeny Todd the other night and thought of you. You know how I feel about Tim Burton! You do have a morbid sense of humor, but you remind me of him in a way. It's intermingled with and inextricable from your brilliance. Be you.

Staci said...

hahah i love reading your posts..they are the highlights of my day...i seriously cant stop laughing. People need to lighten up! Those posters are hilarious.

Andrew said...

Nice new header!!!!!!!! It looks so domestic. So Mexican. So Texas. So kitty. So. . . womby.

Andrew said...

And it's Janae, not Andrew. Cheers!

Stephanie Kelly said...

I love the new header!! Enos is HOT in it! (yes, I am hitting on your husband).............(Oh, come on you know you want a peice of my man)

raschel said...

The most stupid part about this whole thing to me is...if ya'll were offending coworkers, couldn't they have politely said something to you about being offended b/c they were trying and hadn't been successful and that they were a little sad about it, instead of running to tattle on you? That would've pissed me off beyond all else. Be a grown up and stand up for yourself if something is bothering you.

Lindsay said...

i know!!! i wish they HAD told me. I would have stopped immediately.

David and Teresa said...

Ok not only was I a terrible mother to my Jessica but now I have destroyed another daughter through axes and peaches. Why was i even allowed to birth children. I will ask Heavenly Father that tonight in my prayers. I think I must be a bad example to all i come in contact. Maybe that is why I was just released as YW President. My self esteem is dipping into the dangerously low zone. Forgive me Pooh but I taught you to laugh at bad things. I love that poster...don't you MUTHA

David and Teresa said...

Now on a serious and more mature note, Pooh...sometimes people get offended by things that do not offend us in the least. It is important that in a work place especially that you watch what you say. You can offend others. I know it was not your intention to do that and I personally think that it was VERY out of place for your boss to reprimand you in front of everyone as well. That is equally in bad taste BUT I am just a mother what do i know. Just as you could be in trouble by Human Resources for what you did...so could she for what she did. That is neither here nor there. Just be very careful because your sense of humor is not another's sense of humor and it is wise to be aware that others may not feel as you do about things or want to laugh at the same things, especially sensitive subjects like those. It is such a sticky situation when you are in a work environment. Love you Mother